The Coalition for Applied Research (CAR)
CAR was created with the goals of:
- Expediting the transition of new scientific discovery and invention to mission deployment and other commercial applications;
- Enhancing the applied research competitiveness of its members in support of the United States Government;
- Establishing Non Traditional Centers of Excellence in emerging advanced technology disciplines at member institutions;
Brief History of CAR:
- 2008: Open Innovation Concepts proposed to NAVSEA for Rapid Technology Transition from Laboratory to Fleet End User;
- 2010: Innovation Challenge Contest Announced to test Open Innovation Concepts against Corrosion Control at Pearl Harbor Naval Ship Yard;
- 2012: Innovation Challenge Face-Off at Pearl Harbor Naval Ship Yard – Successful Demonstration of Open Innovation in Action;
- 2012: CAR Collaborations with Emerging Research Institutions;.
- 2019: CAR launches CAAR (Coalition for Accelerated Applied Research) – “From Thesis to Enterprise at the Speed of Networking”. More details to come. Stay tuned.